Lessons from 2011: Lens Options



Shooting race events can be very unforgiving, that if you don’t have the right equipment, the whole day can be wasted and you don't get the shots you wanted. There is a difference between you chasing the cars and getting low quality photos from standing calmly, waiting and taking your shots. Yeah, I heard it all from, it’s about your positioning to lighting and even how to “properly” shoot with your lens. From my one year experience (lol) into this art, there is some truth to it, but ultimately it comes down to one thing, "MONEY".

If you take this sport seriously, so should your pockets. Those days are gone of shooting with Target lenses, although, I never owned one myself(thank god!). Sorry if I sound like a total douche-bag but "don’t hate the playa, hate the game".

This past year I played with three lenses, 70-300 f/4-5.6, 300mm f/4, and 70-200mm f/2.8 (non-is)- all Canons. Shamefully, being a total noob and thinking I could save a few bucks, I started the year with the Canon 70-300mm. Although, I liked the range that it had, I was frustrated with the quality that it gave me. My biggest regret was all the time I was wasting with the 70-300mm, I could have been using other lenses. But not until it was nearly the end of the season that I had given up on the lens entirely and already had another one in mind, the "L" lenses.

Of the two I tried, I like the 300mm the best. Hooray for prime lenses!

*If you don’t have money to play, may I suggest renting? At this point of my life, I can't imagine paying $2k for a camera lens based on internet review. Rent first and try which is better for you and then save up to own, because renting can be expensive in the long run.

Comments